NOTHING WRITTEN ON THIS BLOG (POSTS AND PAGES AND COMMENTS) IS INTENDED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

No Rhyme or Reason

Donuts are like the big No No for Sammie.  I guess the combination of fat and sugar just wreaks havoc on her blood sugar, raising it for hours regardless of the amount of insulin I give her.  At least that's been our experience in the nearly three years since Sam's diagnosis. So we avoid donuts now.  BUT it was Sam's B-day weekend and Grandma had come to visit AND there were suddenly donuts.  So, of course,  Sam had one...maple glazed with sprinkles...mmmmm.  I gave her the typical insulin for the carbs rounding up because it WAS a donut.  and a few hours later she was 262.  It was just after midnight. There shouldn't be anymore insulin on board now other than her Lantus.   I didn't correct...I don't know why...just wanted to wait.  She was 167 at 1:30am.  Ok. Good. She'll probably be a little high in the morning but we'll correct it then.  Well, like I said no rhyme or reason, she wakes up this morning at 73.   Boy am I glad I didn't give her even a half a unit at midnight like I normally would have.

No comments: